Here I Go!

I’m heading off to Cambodia for two years and I can’t wait! I’m reporting Dec 7th 2011 and I’ll be serving for 24 months. I hope all of you who are interested can read and see all the pictures and adventures I’ll get to experience and share many stories with all of you! Best wishes to all and God bless!

Elder Decker

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

From e-mail 8/12/2012

Well, things are good here.  Friday was the day of transfers but the beginning of the week I spent in Kampong Thom packing and saying my goodbyes to everyone and I miss them alot but I know I'm supposed to come here and there is so much work here that I know I'm going to be good at especially with my companion right now so it will be really good.  His name is Elder Ny and he's Khmae and I live in a brand new house in the mission that they just got.  When we got here on Friday we didn't have a thing, no power cords, no desks, really and literally a completely empty 3 story house.  So it was tough right away and I'm living in the house with 3 Khmae Elders and me so I have to kinda be the thinker and remember what we need to get and do for the house.  The only thing we had were mattresses and that's it so I had to work on that with the mission and the landlord and had to go buy everything myself too, so it was a little stressful right away but I'm ok, just living on the floor right now and doing just fine.  I eat on the floor, sleep on the floor and study on the floor.  I'm always sittin on the ground, lol.

Anyway, Elder Ny has 5 months left and he has more health problems than I do so it's been tough to get started.  We just barely met with people together last night for the first time.  I went from having no time in my week to having really a lot of time because we have 3 investigators and in KT I had about 20 and not many recent converts but a ton of less actives to find so that will be good.  I'm excited to have this area to work with and my health is ok. 

Our branch is called Pochetong it's pretty small but I'm going to be finding less actives and trying to get the area books a ton better than they are right now so that will be exciting and I'll be busy and trying to use a lot of my time trying to do book work at the house.  Today is busy with other stuff expecially with my comp, cause he has had nose surgery and they just found Friday night that he has micro kidney stones and he just wants to be healthy so it's a little tough right now.  But we have a great Branch President and it will be great to work with him, a returned missionary who is smart and wants to help and make sure the missionaries are being helped too.  His wife is a returned Sister too and super smart and the members here are really great and super nice and friendly.  They tell me I speak really clear and just like a Khmae for only 6 months in country so I'm doing really good.  Now I'm in a house with all Khmaes so we will see how much Khmae I learn, lol! The Khmae all say that only white people eat bread but I make fun of them because they eat a ton of it so it's fun in the house.

I heard that 4 people that I started teaching in Kampong Thom got baptized yesterday so that was awesome and I was super excited. This area is pretty good and it's just busy all the time and crowded with people and a lot different from KT but my bike is good and the ac is good and the power is good too.  We are right next to a big grocery store and there is a volley ball court right outside our house that I'm going to challenge them all to 4 on 4 to listen to the gospel.  Four Elders vs the moto guys, haha, so I'll let you know how that goes.  Anyway, it's all good here and I love you all a ton.   I put lots of pics up of the people of KT!  Till next week! 
Love, Elder Joshua Decker

2 comments:

  1. I love that he sits on the ground. Looks like he sleeps there too. Such terrific pictures of his apartment. I would never have imagined it without the photos. Sounds like he is thoroughly enjoying his experiences and doing a great (and marvelous) work. Love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pictures and the update. Sounds like he has his work cut out for him.

    ReplyDelete