Here I Go!

I’m heading off to Cambodia for two years and I can’t wait! I’m reporting Dec 7th 2011 and I’ll be serving for 24 months. I hope all of you who are interested can read and see all the pictures and adventures I’ll get to experience and share many stories with all of you! Best wishes to all and God bless!

Elder Decker

Thursday, September 6, 2012

From e-mail 8/19-26/2012

Well, this week was quick but different being in the city and we did a ton of different stuff like actually going out contacting and we never did that in Kampong Thom.  It's slow work but I'm still having a lot of fun.  The house is doing better.  I still have to get some more stuff but we have a microwave and a place to put my clothes.  My companion still needs to rest or sleep most days to get feeling better but I try and do as much as I can to learn about the people in our area and then study more cause he is really just trying to finish the mission and not have to stop early because of sickness.This week we had district meeting and it's still weird to see so many Elders in the city cause you just run into them on pday or whatever and it's weird to actually go to a church building and sit in a chapel for the first time in 8 months so that was cool for zone conference.

I got some custom shirts cut for 7 bucks a piece cause all my shirts are permanently dirty so I'll pick them up today and I'll put pics up next week as I didn't take any this week!  Yesterday I got to spend 3 hours helping a senior couple do family history for our branch and that was a lot of fun and sent like 100 more ordinances to the temple so that was really cool and to do family history in Cambodia is super fun!  I just want to be there when they try and read the names!

This week our house has more stuff and finally looks like a house.  I took some pics and when you look at the kitchen, there was nothing there when we got here.  I got all that stuff!  I picked up my new shirts and the long sleeve ones are really nice and they aren't that hot and really soft and custom fitted!  The senior couple took us to a chicken place and ice cream place here and we ate lunch together cause it was the senior sister's birthday and I got some good chicken and the earthquake ice cream bowl which is super weak and only 8 scoops and I put that down easy then ate half of someone elses's so it was good.  I love ice cream! 

We spent lots of time at the dentist for my comp this week.  We had our PEC meeting and I tried to help the branch president here as much as I could.  He is a returned missionary and knows a ton of English and translates the Liahona in Khmae and is stressed.  I want to help him not have to do lots of stuff by himself.  Sunday I gave a talk and that was alright but I still have lots to learn and I spoke for ten minutes in Khmae so that was cool and then we had to teach Elder's quorum too yesterday.  I am having fun teaching my Khmae elders (in the house) english and am learning more Khmae every day.  Elder Som is super funny and I taught him holy crap and translated in Khmae for him as crap that is holy and he laughed like crazy and uses it all the time!  He is a favorite Khmae elder, super smart and funny and a super good missionary.

Thanks to everyone for all the letters!  I love getting them!  And yes mom, that is my bed on the floor!  I like the floor, it's cooler than a bed--I love it here!  I just want a better chair for my desk and I'm good!  I'll be back next week and it's already September!  Holy smokes, 3 months and I'm already out a year!  Crazy!  I love you - Love Joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment